Odometer gear follow up:

(Referenced to odometergears.com/mercedes.html  E1,E2,E3)

On my unit upon removal the E1 gear was trashed, 3 pieces, crumbs and the
brass insert. The E2 and E3 gear looked fine, however after I tried to clean
the other 2 gears the E3 gear crumbled, I went Obsessive Compulsive on it
and glued it back together and like I previously indicated it is currently
working. On my unit the E1 and E3 gears were made of the light nylon colored
stuff and the E2 gear is black (this is in contrast to the pictures on the
web site where the E3 gear is black. ) I suspect that the light colored
stuff is the root cause of the failure ( it got old). My E2 gear looks real
good however at this point I am replacing the E2 and E3, I have all ready
replaced the E1 gear.
Speaking of the E1 gear, from the web site: "The "E1" gear will press on
with your thumb. Take a pair of wire/side cutters and squeeze firmly on the
brass fitting on the drive shaft. It should slide right off. This gear will
be a press fit over the plain shaft."
Well I was unable to get the gear to push off, I became real concerned of
the force I was applying and that other plastic could break. I used a 6"
pair of Klien diagonal cutters and cracked off the brass insert kind of like
what a nut splitter would do. The E1 gear did press on at this point with
out major fuss but this does require some care.

George Larribeau
Dallas Texas

1985 300SD 207K
1987 HD FLHTC 90K, Bent &2 I
1984 Motoguzzi Cal -2 80K
1972 Motoguzzi Ambassador LOTS
1965 Chevy C-10 pick up truck lots of miles 3rd small block ..(Extra
 Ugly,but runs)

1993 BMW 323i  125K (Wife's Car)
1967 BMW R50/2 (Wife's MC, currently in a Basket, Getting Better)