Fred, coupla months ago, I removed ig. lock in my 87 300D (124) by inserting
U-shaped unlock tool in the 2 holes withe key in posit #1 - that's not the
OFF posit. - that's #1 clockwise from OFF;  jiggled key while pulling on it
and lock cylinder with its protective steel cover came right out.  'Made
tool from white-painted clothes hanger; scraped paint off to make perfect
dia. size.  Did you file slopes/wedges on ends of your tool to ride up on
the lock release?  I did not need to remove any molding nor the
rubber/plastic around the lock - old one slipped right out and new one
slipped right in with jiggle on key to align it properly.

Wilton