Original problem was a jammed kick-down cable.
The indy buddy who did the engine transplant knew the cable was worn since
he had trouble to hook it up at the tranny. Since the transplant 8 months
ago the tranny worked super. Smooth shifts with the shift points
controlable.
Yes, they made it actually better than when I took it there (or worse by
bodging the [?] rebuild).
When the cable jammed there was no upshift at all.
Now its shifting 1 - 2 - 3 - and no 4th.

The indy I am going to is C & J Mercedes Services on Jenetta near Westpark.
My Ex took the E300D there and they treated her good and fair. Rich, do you
know that shop?

On 2/6/08, Rich Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I forget -- what was the original symptom?
>
> On indies -- my buddy took his SL to the "best" shop in Houston
> (coughHans'scough) to replace the tranny with one he got from Rusty.
> Immediately had problems with the new one, took it back, they said it
> was bad and would need to be replaced again (they would charge him
> whatever the price was, a lot, again too).  So anyway he took it some
> old guy at a tranny shop who worked on it, knew Benz trannies, who
> discovered they had bodged the install (I forget the details) and it
> cost him another $400 to set it right but now the thing works great.  If
> you want I can find out who the old guy was.  My buddy is a lawyer and
> was going to make some misery for the shop [coughHanscough] but decided
> it wasn't worth the bother.
>
> --R
>
> Hans Neureiter wrote:
> > There are more lies in this story than Munchausen.
> > Fist it needed a Kick-down cable. Than a rebuild. Than the car was
> ready,
> > but at the last minute the cable was the wrong size. Tells me the guy
> never
> > installed a new cable but misteriously diagnosed the trannt trashed.
> (???)
> > Than they had to "FINE TUNE" the valve body.(What's that ?)
> > Than they had to get a new valve body. (???)
> > Than there was something wrong with the "CORE" and they had to get a new
> > Lastly they can't get the thing to shift into 4th gear and gave up.
> > Why does it not shift into 4th?
> > I am taking it to an independent Mercedes shop and find out.

Hans Neureiter, Houston, TX
'82 300SD, '95 E300D