So self defense seems a reasonable point at which to draw one's line.
How about bed bugs? I'd like to hear a PETA member give their position on
destroying one of them. Oh, that's right, we, the human animal, have invaded
their habitat.

Just things I wonder about.

What about chiggers?

The only difference, theoretically, between the value of a dog's and a
chigger's life is the physical size of the creature. Well, that and
ugliness, and demeanor. Actually, that's an assumption. Maybe chiggers are
quite agreeable. And hungry. Hmmm

Actually, I think that the more attributes a creature shares with humans
visually, the more sympathy we have for it.

Brian