What's the worst thing facing mankind?  Many people think it's
overpopulation.  Malaria helps control overpopulation in countries which are
prone to overpopulation.  Personally I don't have an opinion one way or
another.

Here is what Wiki says about DDT and a previously successful method of
misquito control:
The World Health Organization (WHO) currently advises the use of DDT to
combat malaria in endemic areas.[87] For instance, DDT-spraying the interior
walls of living spaces, where mosquitoes land, is an effective control. The
WHO also recommends a series of alternative insecticides (such as the
pyrethroids permethrin and deltamethrin) to both combat malaria in areas
where mosquitoes are DDT-resistant, and to slow the evolution of resistance.
This public health use of small amounts of DDT is permitted under the
Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), which
prohibits the agricultural use of DDT for large-scale field spraying.[88]
However, because of its legacy, many developed countries discourage DDT use
even in small quantities.[89]
Before DDT, malaria was successfully eradicated or controlled also in
several tropical areas by removing or poisoning the breeding grounds of the
mosquitoes or the aquatic habitats of the larva stages, for example by
filling or applying oil to places with standing water. These methods have
seen little application in Africa for more than half a century.[108]

Wiki also discusses research into other methods of misquito control and
malaria treatment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria#Other_methods