Gary Hurst wrote:

> one of the last straws with me and organized school was when the "teacher"
> told the class how columbus put smallpox in blankets and gave them to the
> indians.

That would lead to a massive media attack if it happened near me. I'd tell
everybody who would listen how ignorant the teaching staff was, and demand
removal of the teacher, and if I didn't get it I'd be circulating recall
petitions for the school board.

Columbus didn't want to kill off the "indians", he was the original
proponent of using the islanders (cubans/haitians/etc) for slaves.
Why didn't she tell the kiddies that? If the point was that europeans
are evil creatures who destroyed the western hemisphere, it seems like
the slavery and torture done under the Spanish flag would be far better
than some phony disease story.

IIRC, the smallpox story was from the post civil war era.
What was that Jane Seymore show? Dr Dingbat? Oh, yes, "Dr Quinn, Medicine
Woman". They did an episode where the calvary distributed blankets from
dead typhoid patients to the indians IIRC.

Mitch.