yeah, seems the cavalry given out smallpox story is made up.  like most
stories like this, someone thought "how horrible" and decided to go out and
thoroughly document the details of the case, only to discover there was no
such case.

a lot of research begins like this . the guinness book listed ed "strangler"
lewis as the most successful wrestler of all time, having only lost 6 times
in over 6,000 legitimate wrestling matches.  everyone just accepts this as a
fact.  so some dude comes up with the idea that it would be cool to find
those 6 matches.  he finds hundreds.  furthermore, he finds that almost none
of the matches were legitimate.

you have heard the expression "on the ball?"  webb c ball had a jewelery
shop on cleveland where the time was wired in from the US Naval Observatory
and displayed in the window.  webb ball and those who came by his shop in
cleveland really were among the few in that age who could answer the
question of whether anybody knows what time it is.

webb really liked precision timekeepers.  he'd buy very good movements from
very solid makers and "hot rod" them in the shop.  you could go into ball's
shop and buy one of hte most accurate watches on the earth at the end of the
19th century.  and then ball and his crew could keep it running like that
for you indefinitely.

ball's watches really, really good and priced accordingly.  the average man
in the street had neither the means to afford such a timepiece nor the need
for one, as he could live happily with a 15 second a day watch and didn't
need one that was tuned to 15 seconds a season.  so what was ball to do?

he went out telling eveyrone the story of how there was this terrible train
crash caused by imprecise timekeeping and how a ball watch maintained at the
ball shop was the way to solve this so it would never happen again.  as it
says in wikipedia:

In 1891 there was a collision between Lake Shore and Michigan Southern
Railways at Kipton, Ohio <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipton%2C_Ohio> which
occurred because an engineer <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer>'s watch
had stopped. The railroad officials commissioned Webb C. Ball as their Chief
Time Inspector, in order to establish precision standards and a reliable
timepiece inspection system for Railroad
chronometers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_chronometers>
.
He established strict guidelines for the manufacturing of sturdy, reliable
precision timepieces, including resistance to magnetism, reliability of time
keeping in 5 positions,
isochronism<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Isochronism&action=edit>,
power reserve <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_reserve> and dial
arrangement, accompanied with record keeping of the reliability of the watch
on each regular inspection

the legendary railroad watch is established and the ball watch is king of
them all.  only thing is, though, there never was such a crash.