One click past off to the left is the right side,  two clicks left is
the left side.  Been that way since at least the 60's.

Benz doesn't change things much -- I got a kick out of a friend who
had a W210 and complained that the keyswitch wasn't illuminated like
it was in his Ford -- until he looked in my old '72 W108 and realized
that Benz has put the keyswitch in exactly the same place relative to
the steering wheel since the mid '50s!  No need to light it up, if
you drive a Benz they are all in the same place.

Peter