OK Don wrote:
> Possibly, but you usually see the intake and exhaust on opposite sides
> of the head with dual cams, ans these are on the same side.

The M24 is plain old OHV.  If you wanted overhead cams, you had to buy a
Duesenberg.  The normally aspirated J made 265hp from 6.8L and the
supercharged version, SJ, was good for 320hp.  But it lacked the drama
queen antics of the Mercedes.  And the MB engine puts out 157hp, not 137
as I miswrote earlier.

> Tom - what metal is the firewall made from? Sure looks like new - how
> did that happen?
> Do you have "before" pictures?

It is aluminum, and looks pretty much like the original firewall on the
'39 540K which is the next project.  The original machining is slightly
less uniform than that in the pictures.  I've got some "before" pictures
someplace.  It was basically a derelict-in-boxes in 1996.  The body was
built from scratch; the frame and drivetrain are original.

Tom