Be careful about used fluorescent fixtures -- some of them run at weird

voltages in commercial settings.  I saw a Sears store being remodeled
many years ago, the crew was filling up a 30yd dumpster with 4-bulb
ceiling fixtures, so I stopped and asked if I could have some for my
basement/garage/etc..  Guy says sure but they run at 140V (or something
like that, I forget -- it was odd) and won't work in your house.  But I
did scavenge a bunch of the "sunlight" bulbs that were very pricey, and
I think I am still using some in my shop lights now -- they make a very
nice natural, easy-on-the-eyes light when mixed with the std blue ones.
I never did figure out the voltage thing, how or why they have that in
stores.

--R