"Blow off the assumption of 3,000 lbs vehicle weight. My wife's four-door
Jetta weighed about half  that. And carbon fiber technology can build
sturdy vehicles that are MUCH lighter."

I don't think there has ever been a Jetta much below 2000lbs.  this
chart of 99-05 models show about 2500-2800:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1999-to-2005-volkswagen-golf-jetta-4.htm
My brother drag raced his 65 Galaxie which weighed in a 2900 lbs. and
newer Accords are close to 4K

After a brief search the data I found on MK1 VW's showed a curb weight
if about 1800 lbs for a rabbit, the Jetta would be heavier.

I would specualte, that 3000 lbs is on the low end for a 4-5 seat car
these days, and not an unreasonable starting point for real world
mileage target.

--
Rory Morrison
Oroville, WA