Around here, I swear people must be listening to the police scanners
to get dibs on road kill deer. They don't care about internal
bleeding, embedded glass, or metal shards. My sister hit a deer and 10
minutes after the cops showed up, 3 different groups of people in
pickups with knives at the ready showed up asking for the meat. She
wanted it and was told by the cops she better hurry and get it in the
trunk. She gets first dibs, but she can give it to someone at the
scene. If unclaimed it is supposed to be donated to the local food
bank (actually a well organized group of warehouses that distribute
food to non-profits), but the cop says they never last that long. As
soon as he turns his back, it's gone.

-Dave Walton