Brian,

head for the closest feed store and ask when the peeps arrive.  They
should be about ready to show up any day.

For peeps (the little yellow fur balls fresh out of an egg) you need
a safe warm place for them to grow large enough to toss outside.
Takes seven or eight weeks.  I started with a low cardboard box
18x34x18 tall and for the first few days left it uncovered, since the
peeps are not really flying around.  Get a cover of screening to keep
them inside once they can hop out.

While they grow, you can build them a chicken home.  Buy a book on
raising chicken at the feed store.  There are some prefab homes or
others that are used to let the chickens work your lawn.  Move it
every day and they hunt for bugs and are fully protected inside a
mesh cage.  I free range mine and they come home to roost at night.

You need an IR lamp to keep them warm, a watering dish and some chick
starter.  I use pine shavings since they do not smell strong like
cedar.  These things poop a storm, so you need to clean the box daily
giving fresh food and water.  The lamp is used to keep their home at
around 95*F for a week, then drop it to 90F next week.  Then 10F
lower each week until you hit room temp or 65F and outdoor temps are
at 65F for most of the day.

You need to get at least two or three, so that they are not lonely
and have a flock.  I go for four at a time because there are bound to
be cockerels in the lot and you get to eat them or pawn them off on
farmers once they decide to crow.  Roosters are usually larger and
more confident than a hen as chicks.

With all your land, you can free range your flock.  Best thing to do
is hold the peeps every day, cooing at them, talking to them.
Accustomed to your touch and voice they will come running when you
are around.   Let them grow large enough go outside on spring sunny
days to roam while you sit close and protect them.  You are the
mother hen who they will look to for protection.  Do this regularly
and in varied spots in the yard and they will learn what is "their"
yard.

Coyote, racoon, eagles and other predators love to snag a chicken.
If they have a safe place to roost at night and a box to leave you
eggs, the hens are happy as can be.  If there are dogs or cats
around, a full size chicken can usually handle herself and will give
the critters something to think about next time.  Chicken will eat
anything that does not eat it first.  And having seen Jurassic Park,
these things are really miniature velocaraptors.  Love to eat meat.

Right now I have three hens.  They all lay for me and I have over a
dozen eggs a week to get rid of.  It takes 22 weeks for the hens to
grow old enough to lay an egg.  No need or desire for a rooster
unless you want to breed more chickens.  Hens will lay an egg most
days as long as there is enough ambient light for them to think it is
late spring or summer.  Once it gets too dark, they stop.  Then start
again when light returns.

A hen ovulates until she goes through the change.  JUST LIKE A
WOMAN.  No need for men for women to pop an ovum out.  Mate a hen and
she will hold sperm for 90 days and lay fertilized eggs.  When winter
comes and they stop, those fertile eggs sit there until spring.  Then
you get more peeps.

Fresh eggs are exceedingly eggy compared to store bought.  Have a
plate of fresh egg and you know the junk from the store is
cardboard.  Much like fresh out of the oven bread is nothing like
wonder.

clay