>From memory, it's the antenna height over-ride. When you first turned the
radio on, the original antenna came up until the radio got good reception
then it stopped. But the antenna did not self adjust as you were driving and
you could manually move the antenna up & down "as needed". Everyone else
just ran the mast all the way up.

I'd like to say that this is another example of Mercedes over Engineering.
But it's not - it's an example of Becker over Engineering.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of David Bruckmann
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:23 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] W108 mystery switch

Gang,

The centre console on my 280SEL (with column shifter) has a fifth switch. It
looks exactly like the single rocker switch in the rear door. The extra
switch is located between the two rows of double window switches. The car
doesn't have a sunroof, and in any case I believe sunroof switches were
normally on the dash. Could this be the antenna height switch (the car has
an electric antenna, but I doubt it is the original because it isn't a
Hirschmann) or is there some other option that I don't even know I have!?

D.