andrew strasfogel wrote:
> Are there still reasonable people (emphasis) who believe the South should
> won the war to continue the practice of slavery?  If so, I would be amazed
> to find any such on this list.

Actually, I do believe I'm a pretty reasonable guy, but I also know that the
War of Northern Aggression was not fought by the South to continue slavery.
The vast majority of Southerners did not own slaves and did not favor
slavery.  By the time the North invaded the South, slavery was in decline
and would have ended anyway because it didn't make economic sense.  No, the
war was about the North's tendency to try to dictate to other folks how they
were going to run their business, kinda like the revolutionary war was about
the British telling the colonists how they were going to run their
business...and kinda like liberals think they can tell the rest of us what
to think and how we should handle our business.  It's about freedom.

Royce