Let me add some info, I wasn't expecting such a good response, thanks.

I was flushing the cooling system and had both radiator hoses, both heater
hoses and the thermostat out to do the flushing.  It started getting hot on
a short trip, so I added some coolant and headed home.  It started again, so
I opened my heater valve (manual) to add another radiator and while the temp
needle climbed, the heater blew cold.

I did not suspect the thermostat, but tested it on the stove while it was
out and it did well.

Of course during flushing with a garden hose, through the heater core both
ways, radiator both ways, etc, etc, everything got wet.

Are there any clues in that story?

I'll start checking what you guys suggested and check back here shortly.

Thanks
Harry