A flaky update.  I now suspect a blown head gasket or cracked head.  Before
checking anything, I decided to try it and it started right up, kept going
in the run position and I held it at about 2K RPM for awhile.  Left it
running and went to eyeball under the hood.  I noticed a cloud of white
smoke out the exhaust.  The engine muffed down and quit.  Under the exhaust
the pavement was wet.  After that it would start and stop like before.

After I got over my crying spell and had breakfast ( a little Cathey lingo
there) I remembered on my short trip that it was running rough when I
stopped to add coolant.

Sorry for not providing you guys all the poop up front, I have a good
memory, but its short.

With 263,000 on the clock, I'm in the market for an engine.  Of course I'll
verify the need first by pulling all the plugs and cranking it over, I
expect to get wet out of one of those holes.

It was due a new timing belt, and going in there calls for replacing some
other stuff.

Thanks for every ones response and please don't keep any secrets if you
think of something.

Harry