I'm looking at a car in Atlanta that one day just decided it didn't want
to start.  When the key is turned nothing happens, no noises, etc.  The
owner tried starting it in neutral, and has cranked the engine over by
hand.  What do you guys think is the problem?

If I could make arrangements for a trailer I wouldn't be asking this,
but I can't find someone with a truck that can pull a car trailer.  I'm
willing to take a chance that I can start it by either pull starting it
or manually 'jumping' the starter.  I know that there is a way to engage
the starter by fiddling under the hood, but I'm not sure what needs to
be done.  I believe it involves the terminal block underneath the
battery (on the W116 at least).  Do I just need to apply 12V to the
solenoid on the starter?  How much current does it need to handle (ie,
how big of a wire)?

Is there a place on the rear of my W124 where I can safely attach a tow
strap?  Just for pull starting of course!

Thanks!
John