In my case, Dan, I was young and "paid in earnest" a ridiculously generous
amount with the contract (realtor submitted). The owner was banking on the
fact that I wouldn't be able to secure financing "for that type of house" in
the twenty-four month term of the lease option. In other words, she was
counting on my forfeiting that amount at the expiriation of the "lease." I,
on the other hand knew the house had been on a slow market for a long period
of time and the seller was "cash poor" as she had another house she really
wanted on a contingiency. The "purchase price" we had set on the option was
ridiculously low. I was gambling on the fact that an out of town couple had
looked at the house several times (two doctors planning to relocate to the
area) and simply were waiting to make an offer on the house. My "lease
option" actually took it off the market. That couple approached me within a
month begging me to sell the house to them. I did, at full price. They paid
me the difference and assumed my option to purchase at the previously agreed
price. That's why I say the owner was furious with me for I sold at the full
price within a month. I netted a $35,000. gain in the month.

"Selling" the option was quite similar to any other real estate transaction
as it involved a closing. I recall that I had just filled the oil tank for
the steam boiler. Fuel oil was something like $0.89 a gallon at the time. At
closing I was paid $2,600. for the measure of fuel in the tank. (Wonder if
people take such thing into consideration now? Today it would cost $9,800.
to fill that tank. To heat that old barn required over two tanks per season.

On subject of lease/option to buy, usually you establish what would be fair
market value for rent and the excess payment is applied toward a "down
payment." It used to be a creative way for an owner to sell a "hard to move
property" and was a way for a buyer to get into a property and accumulate an
amount of equity to qualify for a mortgage. Usually that additional amount
was forfeited if the option wasn't exercised within the term set forth.
(similar to open end auto lease). There were also some tax benefits for the
seller as the term of the "lease" the property could be treated as rental
property and the "sale price" (exercise price) was often lower so capital
gains were less on paper.

I don't think "lease/options" are as common today as they were in the early
1980s when interest rates were so high.