I replaced the glued tow-hook cover, it looks good.  I then pulled out
the shifter surround and refreshed my memory, there are two Becker
plugs for the rear speakers I'd put in there to be disconnected when
the JVC is in place.  So I did that.  Since I was there I popped the
bottom off of the flasher switch, which was gross inside.  I
wire-brushed the contacts and put a little grease on them before
reassembly, then it worked well.  That took only about ten minutes.

I got out some modeling clay and made a little dam around the worst
rust spot on the hood and filled it with water and put in a pinch of
washing soda.  I pressed a loop of wire into the clay so that it was
underwater and hooked the battery charger to it and the grille.
(Positive to the sacrificial wire!!!!)  The rust just boiled off of
there, in the half hour I spent on the above items the rust was gone,
reduced to blackened (a benign form of iron oxide) pitting and shiny
metal.  I then removed the paraphernalia, dried the area, and put on a
little bit of primer to protect the exposed metal.  It's a start!
There are two other rust patches and a lot of failed clear-coat to
address.  Somewhere around here I have a can of paint that should be
pretty close in color that I'd like to try.

-- Jim