> Fairly small pocket of liquid I imagine?

A few tablespoons in this case.  When it got too murky
to see through I'd just slop more water over it with
the bucket and have a look to see if I was done.  If
not, drop in another pinch of soda and come back later.

I bought a bunch of bricks of modeling clay at Goodwill
some time ago, $1 per brick.  (More like a thick trivet,
four bars per package.)  I figured I might use them for
holding welding material in place, or this very trick.

> Sounds like it didn't take long, was this somewhere the clay
> could rest or did it have to stick on?

Half hour or so.  Slower gives smoother results, you turn the
current down for that.  I used the 12V setting, 6V would have
been slower.  The current density was high on such a small
geometry spot, the bubbles were roiling off the iron wire once
it got going.  My spot was on a sloping part of the hood, right
where the snout crease is.  The modeling clay was only in the
shape of a 'C', basically I just bent the clay bar and stuck
it down on the hood.  (Has to hold in the liquid!)  It needed
to be something like 3/4" deep to keep all the rust covered
with liquid.  I had the hood popped but down to level it a
little bit more.

This technique is effing miraculous: extremely effective,
and extremely cheap.  All it requires is that you be able
to submerge the rusted area.  (I have heard of using a cloth
pad and a drip to keep an area damp, with the electrode on
the other side of the pad.  I've never tried it, I imagine
it is much slower.)

-- Jim