> However, it occurred to me that I could connect an ammeter across the
> switch terminals, and see if there was a current flowing, when there
> shouldn't be, and how much, just by flipping the switch.

The correct way to do this is to connect the meter first,
then open the switch.  (I'm not saying you didn't do this.)
There are startup loads that get satisfied that way, and you
read only the steady-state draw.

> Next I clipped the ammeter across the shut-off switch,
> and still no current. I decided that the alternator was not delivering
> electricity to the system, so pulled the alternator.

Just make sure you never disconnect the battery from a running
(and good) system, it needs the battery there to regulate voltage.
The open-the-switch trick works just fine so long as you have
the ammeter connected first, and so long as the current it's
then exposed to doesn't blow its fuse or anything.

-- Jim