Last Friday morning the 300D 2.5 wouldn't start - turn  the key, and
nothing. The idiot lights were on, the glow plug timer light works as
usual. After three more attempts, it activated the starter, and just
barely turned the engine.  It started and ran just fine the day
before, and I never saw the charge light come on. So i hopped into the
240D and drove it to work. That evening I put the trickle charger on
the battery, thinking the problems was either a dead battery from
mechanical failure, or a short or trunk light stuck on, or similar
current draw over night.

I went out to find the problem Sat. noonish - first thing was to check
the date on the battery - 7/2000 on a 72 month Interstate. Seemed
likely that the battery was dead. This car has a shut-off switch
installed between the battery negative terminal and the chassis
ground. I've been thinking it was another point of failure, and didn't
see any value to it, so it's been on my list to be removed when I
replace the battery.

However, it occurred to me that I could connect an ammeter across the
switch terminals, and see if there was a current flowing, when there
shouldn't be, and how much, just by flipping the switch. This was much
easier than puling the battery terminal, etc. So I did, and saw almost
no current (a milliamp or so). The voltage across the battery
terminals was almost 13, so I tried to start it. It started just like
it's supposed to. I went back and measured the voltage across the
battery, and it was still just shy of 13v., even when rev'ing the
engine. Hmmmm. Next I clipped the ammeter across the shut-off switch,
and still no current. I decided that the alternator was not delivering
electricity to the system, so pulled the alternator.

The brushes on the regulator were short, and one of them had black
carbon burning over most of it's surface. The corresponding slip ring
in the alternator was burned over 80% of it's surface. I figured the
brushes were the cause, and the battery just drained to the point that
it didn't have the juice to turn the starter.

The local Bosch parts store was closed by then, so I decided to try
the McParts stores in town, and order from Rusty if no one had a new
regulator in stock. One store did, so I installed it Sun. and cleaned
the slip ring with an abrasive rubbery disk in the Dremel tool, and
tested again.

Now I had 13.8v. to the battery with the engine running, and 13 amps
flowing into the battery at idle.

The moral of this story is that the shut-off switch was very handy for
trouble shooting the charging/battery system, and a battery that's
almost two years beyond warranty can still function, if charged. So
I'll be leaving that switch in place, and might even add them to our
other cars, should they cross my path. I won';t go searching for them
and make the special effort to install them, but if the opportunity
should present it's self I will.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK