From: Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 3:55 pm
Subject: [MBZ] loose 300SDL pistons

So I have this 300SDL I picked up a while back.  The guy who had it
bought it from a list member from another list.  Drove it back somewhere
in the NE back to OK.  Anyway, he says IIRC after a while of driving he
couldnt keep oil in it.  Not sure where it was going but thats what he
said. It broke down and he had ot have it towed back to OK.  Took it to
a local shop and I know they ran a compression test on it but Im not
sure what the numbers where.  They pulled the head and I think they said
it was warped.  They also said the engine needs to be rebuilt because
you could move one of the pistons back and forth in its bore.  The head
is sitting on the engine but not installed.  Today I looked at it for a
minute and the head does have a couple of cracks between a couple of
cylinders valves.  #1 piston is at TDC and I can move it back and forth
very slightly.  I cant tell you how much but its a little loose.  #6 is
also at TDC or close to it, and I can move it a little but its quite a
bit tighter than #1.  The others I cant move, they are down in their bore.

So the question is, should this piston be able to be moved at all?
Given this info and what the PO says happened, would I be better off
just yanking the engine and dropping in another?  That is what I am
leaning towards.
--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 300D, 92 250D Turbo, 92 300E 4Matic,