> For example, someone breaks into your house but isn't armed.  You
> point a
> gun at him and he wrestles it away and shoots you.  Were you really
> "safer"
> because of the gun?

No one should ever try to use a dangerous tool without
at least a minimal amount of training.  Cars, chainsaws,
guns, whatever.  (Knives and screwdrivers are my most-
dangerous tools, at least based on their safety records.)

For a gun, besides the basic safety rules which apply so's
not to cause harm while handling it in a non-threatening
situation, in a threat situation never let a threat get close
enough to you that they could grab it before you could shoot
them.  Shoot them first, or back up rapidly so that you are
in control of the situation.  Most of what you see in movies
is wrong.

Y'ever see those movies where the bad guy talks his way
close enough to the trepidatious gun-holder and then takes it?
That _should_ be a bad guy full of holes.  One also requires
the will to act as the threat requires.  If you don't have
that will, you probably won't find the tool to be of much use,
and could perhaps find it indeed turned against you.

If you've had any training at all, and have a brain bigger
than a squirrel, a gun is not dangerous to you or yours so
long as you are the one holding it.

-- Jim