Well, I can agree with some of what you say here, Andrew. You touch upon one
of the biggest downfalls of having a gun.
Most certainly, if someone introduces a gun into a hostile situation there
is the possibility of it being turned on the gun wielder.

I suppose the answer here is for each gun owner to be trained or otherwise
experienced in the use of that weapon, and to take it deadly seriously and
be aware of the risk of the reversal.

I think perhaps also it may be true what they say: If you point a gun at
someone, you had better be ready and willing to shoot them. And further, you
should always shoot to kill, not to wound.

So the foregoing would eliminate the option of simply showing a gun *solely*
as a deterrent.

Being armed with a gun is not a perfect solution, but it makes sense to me.

You may be surprised to learn that I have never owned a gun. I came close to
buying one, but I - then and now - struggle with the gravity of it all. This
is partly because I know that I need work in the area of anger management. I
don't know for 100% sure that I could trust myself in all situations. And
the other part of the hesitation deals with the point you raise: The
possibility of the gun being taken over by an intruder - be it from my hands
or from a closet.

Brian