Now I am more confused.  The plugs in the engine are W9
The new ones are WR9 resistor plugs

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=197392&page=6
one posting on this list says NOT to use platinum plugs on older MBs,
but does not define a break point(s) between "old" and "new"
Others say the R makes no difference while some say it will stress
the electronics.

Sheesh!  I thought this was simple.  Guess not much is simple anymore!

Anyone got experience with 380 gassers?
  Patient is 1985 380SL

At 05:51 PM 4/9/2008, you wrote:
>It has been decades since I put spark plugs in anything.
>Subject: 1985 380SL (daughter's car_)
>I bought Bosch platinum plugs.
>they look like the gap is in the .030 range, but I didn't check them yet.
>
>What is tha gap supposed to be?
>I guess it is possible to gap these if you are really careful not to
>chip the porcelain center, or the tiny electrode in the middle.  Is
>that correct?
>
>Or should I just put em in and hope for the best?
>
>Loren

Loren Faeth