My son has a cable distribution center that was installed when his house was
built.  Cables were run to all the rooms in the house but the installers
forgot to put a broadband jack in one room.  He had verified that the cable
had been run to that room when the house was under construction, and he
knows approximately where it ends, but he doesn't want to tear into the wall
in order to find it.

I told him we might be able to find approximately where it was by moving the
antenna of a portable TV around that part of the wall looking for the
strongest TV signal, but I wasn't sure if the cable signal would radiate
strongly enough from the cut end of the cable.

Another thing we thought of was generating an AM or FM signal from the
distribution box end of the cable and then looking for the strongest signal
in the room using a portable AM-FM radio.  Unfortunately, I don't have a
signal generator anymore.

A third idea was using two walkie-talkies; wrapping one in aluminum foil
with the distribution box end of the cable and an electric razor turned on
inside the foil to make a noise.  One of us would hold the transmit button
on and the other would search the wall with the other walkie talkie; looking
for the strongest signal.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gerry