Greetings Dieselvolk,

I haven't been on this list for several years, but decided to
re-subscribe recently.  Nice to see a few familiar names!

To the topic: I purchased a used #14 head for OM603 motor for $200,
delivered to machine shop for testing and rebuild. They pressure tested,
it passed, they started to take apart, found two cracks between
pre-chambers and valves, pressure tested again and it still passes.

Is this head worth rebuild and installation?

Background: I have an '87 300TD, 307k miles, #14 head which I'm pretty
sure is original.  Recently while on a long trip the oil consumption
increased from qt/3000 miles to qt/500 miles, and a lifter tick
developed at front of engine.  Replaced the consumed oil, fiddled around
a bit and the tick fixed itself.  Drove more gently on the way home (80
mph vice 95 mph) and oil consumption was normal.

So, working theory is that I have a failing head gasket at oil passage
by #1 cylinder, which opens up when the engine is run hard and hot but
for most of my driving is OK.  No sign of coolant in oil or vice versa
(oil sample sent for testing, waiting for results), no pressurized
radiator hose after sitting overnight.  I'm considering pulling the head
to replace the gasket but want to have a good rebuilt head ready to put
on so that downtime is minimized.  However, give complete lack of
symptoms after just one episode, I'm not sure I'm going to do that until
I've determined more definitively that I've got a problem with either
head or gasket.

Very respectfully,
/s/
LCDR Max Dillon
'87 300TD 307k miles
Charleston SC

PS: I'm lurking on digest mode, so please CC my email address if you
respond, else it might be a day or two before I see your reply and can
respond...