From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Mitch Haley
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 7:45 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: was McCain, now commodities trading

"Kaleb C. Striplin" wrote:

> I really do not understand any of this really.  So, where did you do
> this bidding?  Did you actually make any money on it?

I placed the orders with the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) through my
broker. I made $0.40 x 100 and $0.70 x 100, or $100.40 after commissions,
in a few minutes. Not bad for playing around on my day off.

Then I quit, because the June gold contracts could move a buck in the blink
of an eye, and a buck was $100 on a 100 ounce contract. 10-15 minutes after
I quit playing with gold in the $912-913 range, it was trading for $907.
A half hour after that, it was $921-922.  Buying for 912 and selling for
912.4 to 912.7 was fun, but buying at 912 and selling at 907 would not
be fun. I had wanted to buy it around 912 and hold it for a $5 to $10
gain, but I just got too nervous with $91k worth of gold contract sitting
in my IRA and the price moving faster than the eye could see. The longest
I kept a position open was 31 seconds according to my timestamps, but it
felt like a long time when I was doing it.
I was suprised that a single $91k gold contract would affect me more
emotionally than $250k of dow jones industrial average contracts. I think
it was because the price was moving faster than I could think, so I was
trading on instinct and probably just getting lucky. I think I'll paper
trade (pretending to trade) the gold and silver for a while and if it looks
like I can make money I'll start playing the 33oz gold and 1000oz silver
contracts and see how it goes. Jumping in with the big contracts (100oz gold
and 5000oz silver) isn't a smart way to start.

I couldn't find a free live quote on the gold futures, but you can watch the
live book for the mini dow (5x djia) and big dow (25x djia) contracts here
during market hours: (I believe it also works during E-CBOT night trading,
you can give it a try Sunday night)
http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/page1/1,3248,432,00.html

Checked by AVG.
3:47 PM