Since when was selling assault rifles on the open market without
background checks NOT supporting criminal activity?

Since Charton Heston got famous in the NRA, it's all been about power
politics from the background (I notice he never ran for public
office), nothing else.

As I always said in student government in graduate school, you gotta
look for the hidden (read real) agenda when people start talking, it
may not have anything to do with what they are saying, only getting
you to agree with them so they can use agreement and support for
their own ends, which may in fact be the opposite of what they are
saying, or totally unrelated.  Liars and con artists come in all
shapes and colors, and just because someone seems to agree with you
on some subject does NOT mean they are honest!

Peter