Yeah right, obviously you have not been paying attention.
Even if worst comes to worst using a steam traction engine is way more
efficient than a pack of horses.
Then there is bio-fuel, which a Farmer can grow.
Hydrogen is perhaps another option if there are enough nuclear power
stations to produce the stuff.
Whilst the horse and mule story is nice for the doomsayers to scare
people the reality is that technology has moved along and can also move
backwards to meet demand.

Hendrik