Luther,

Harbor Freight sells a tranny handling adapter (about $30) which replaces the 5
inch saddle on your standard floor jack.? If you are thinking one man job, this
will make the difference.? Unfortunately, it adds about 5 inches to the height
you need to clear the frame.?? Worth it tho.? It straps the tranny down and
tilts to permit angling the trans into place.? I just resealed my son's Dodge
Caravan, by myself, and I am 69.? I did saw off about a 3 inch strip on the
adapter to let it fit more easily in the space available.? Mine is available if
you live close.

For height, in front, I filled two std cement blocks, two pices of 3/4"
plywood?which then I set my jack stands on.? In the back, the two jackstands
were sufficient.

Letting the engine/ trans assembly drop in the rear (keeping close watch for
firewall clearance and cable strain) will make it easier to get at those
honkin' big hex bolts, best reached with about 20 inches of extentions and a
1/2" breaker bar.? Clean the hex sockets (10mm) thoroughly with a brake
cleaner, you don't want to round one of these and have it slip!? When they
break loose, you will swear you broke something!? Heavy gloves will cushion the
hands but watch your elbow.?

Finally, get as much of the trans fluid out before you start, as it will run
out the tailshaft when you pull the driveshaft.

Good luck!

Jim in Phoenix

I'm thinking I need about 2' of clearance under the engine to squeeze
the tranny
in and out.  Maybe those leftover 2x12s that I have will work when stacked and
screwed together.