Funny thing about those emergency stop levers.
The one on my 190d takes gentle pressure.
The one on my 300SD feels like the IP is fighting you, and strongly.

When enlisting the wife for the throttle test, look at the
engine side of the IP. Move the linkage by hand, and observe the
location of the full travel stop that the throttle lever on the IP
swings towards. Now when the wife hits the loud pedal, make sure the
linkage hits the stop at the IP. IF not, you aren't getting full throttle.

I suspect that your problem is more along the line of the engine making
low power for a given throttle position, rather than the throttle not
moving. Heavy throttle and little power > hard late shifts.

Being your car is a 1985, I believe you have all sorts of blue
saucer vacuum control thingies on your valve cover, and possibly
an EGR valve. Lots of things to go wrong with the engine/tranny
management there.

Mitch.