> The MB tech pressed down on something on the firewall to stop the
> engine
> when he realized that the STOP lever was not able to do the job (it
> slowed
> down the engine but couldn't quite shut it off).

You have what sounds like a seriously screwed up throttle linkage.

> There's nothing quite as embarrassing as trying fruitlessly to shut
> off a
> runaway diesel in a Lord and Taylor parking lot...

That's not what you had.  You can tell because you didn't need
new underwear, nor did parts fly through the hood of your car.

> I can manually send the revs up by pulling on the linkages but this
> cannot be done from the foot throttle.

As I said, a seriously screwed up throttle linkage.  Fix it,
you'll be amazed.  The adjustment procedure in the book is a
good place to start.  That and replacing/repairing any part
you find along the way that is broken.

I bought a car for $500 that I sold for $2500 because the PO
was convinced that it needed a new transmission.  No, it needed
the throttle linkage corrected.  For ZERO cost!  (OK, I also put
in a bunch of TLC and about $500 of other parts too, but that's
not the point.)  The throttle linkage got that car sold for a
parts car price.

http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/mb240d.html

You can imagine just how well a 240D automatic performs when
it can only unleash about 1/4 throttle's worth of ponies.

-- Jim