Andrew-

Having recently been in and through the transmission of my '91 300d I
can GUARANTEE there are other parts and seals ready for replacement.
Many (but not all) o-rings were so brittle that they broke on removal.
 At minimum, with the pump out you're 90% of the labor time/cost to go
in all the way and replace the clutches and at least examine the bands
for condition.   On my car (with 306k miles) many of the friction
discs still has visible printing on them, but there were three (two in
the reverse K2 pack and one in K1) that were breaking down and worn to
the point where there were significant delays going into gear (~ 5-7
seconds reverse, 2-3 forward).  And this was in a car thats "only" 17
years old!

If your indy is good at these (they're not hard, just have to be
precise and work in a clean environment) the $600 differential is a
bargain.  If the trans needs ANYTHING else it'll be close to $600 just
for R&R!  That said, with the problem you describe if you do go the
indy route make sure he is aware of the process to drill out rivets
and then tap/replace with screws to renew one of the seals. I can't
remember when the change to rivets occurred, so your car may be
easier, but if there is an identified pump issue this is one definite
area to attend to.

With all of that said, did the dealer tell you what the working
pressures were at?

Tony WIrtel
w124 300d, 300e