> Hey Tony,
>    As someone who also owns a 91 300D I was happy to hear how your 300 is
> doing!  At 150k miles I can look forward to many more miles of happy
> motoring!  I use Mobil 1 ATF and it shifts so smoothly I cannot feel it
> unless I really try to detech the shifts.  Same for all other systems.   Now
> that I hear you have 300k+ and things are still holding together well it
> makes me think this might be the best MB we've owned.  Sounds like the
> clutch packs were on the way out  in your tranny -
>
>    One question, how hard would you say the tranny was to rebuild??   Maybe
> on a scale ot
>
>    My '91 had low miles when I bought her in Jan 06 at just 99k miles.  It
> just keeps getting better - it's got to be one of my favorite MBs!
>
>    Thx for the info -
> Larry T (66 MGB, 74 911, 91 300D)

Larry,

I've not driven another w124 chassis diesel, but compared to yours I'd
guess the shifts on mine are more firm.  Personally, I prefer it that
way!

For degree of difficulty its a matter of keeping clean, having lots of
work space that won't mind exposure to ATF, some good documentation
and keeping good track of the process.  Take your time and keep things
organized.  I did mine when my wife and kids were out of town for a
long weekend and could completely focus on the job.

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being 123 chassis brake pads, I'd guess this
is a 7?  That comes from experience with a bunch of other areas on
these cars.  In the last year I've done rear subframe mounts, ball
joints, spring replacement and head gasket replacement on my M103 car.
 Compared to things like subframe mounts the transmission could be
considered easier, as the work is straightforward, at least as
compared to removing the old mounts!

Having some decent tools is a great help.  If you can't get the
transmission out safely nothing else matters!  I bought a transmission
jack with a tilting table deck to make alignment a non issue and some
6 ton jack stands to get good clearance of the transmission once its
down.  While I thought the transmission jack would be a one time
thing, I've found its great to lift my riding mower and I'm sure I'll
find other uses as well.

Now back together this car has impressed me. For some reason the 300d
rides better than the 300e, and the D is a more relaxed driver with
the available torque.  I just might sell both and get a newer wagon,
who knows.  But it sure is an enjoyable car to drive.  I also just
found out that the ALDA still has the original cap; I think it would
be even nicer adjusted ~ 1/2 turn CCW!

Tony Wirtel
'91 300d, '92 300e/2.6