OK Don wrote:
> I wonder if the water's expansion would off-set the cooling of the
> exhaust (lowering pressure and volume).

I think so... or at least thats how I read the whole 'conservation of
energy' thing.

> If not, could this be a way to get low RPM boost - an alternative to
> the variable vane turbos?

Water injection is typically used to cool down the air temperature AFTER
the turbo (compressing the air adds LOTS of heat).  Its the poor mans
intercooler...  You don't want to inject water before a turbocharger
since a turbo spins at 100k+ RPM... water droplets wouldn't do kind
things.  In the original context of it being in the exhaust the water
would probably evaporate, but then you really wouldn't get anything out
of it.

John