>> Should be an '04 Mini.  Seller claims it was a 1-owner trade-in resold
>> by the Mini dealer at auction because it was too old to keep on the
>> lot... want to see if she's telling me the truth.

See if the Mini dealer transfered the title to the current dealer.
If it's like Michigan, dealer to dealer transfers should be written
on the paper title. It does seem odd that the Mini dealer didn't
want this 2004 on their lot, to me that implies they either specialize
in two year old used cars or there's something wrong with this one
that they didn't want to put their name on it.