> He goes on to dscribe the
> splt being louder than the round
firing!

But the brick of Remington subsonics I bought don't
seem all that quiet. They are strong enough to cycle the action in my
Marlin 60 and my friend's 10/22, but from a few feet away I can't really
tell a lot of difference between the subs and the high velocity stuff in
the Marlin, the Ruger, or even my 26" target rifle. They go bang
(unlike CCI mini caps, which go pfft), but there's no supersonic crack
echoing back from the woods like I'd get with full power 22LR.