I have the short, front section of the central shaft from the original manny
tranny that was in my '80 240D.  It protrudes from the front of the tranny
through the clutch and into center of the flywheel.  I used an identical
piece 23 years ago to quickly and easily align a new clutch while bolting it
to the flywheel.  You can slip the front of the shaft through the clutch and
the short, front nub into the flywheel, bolt the clutch in place, slip the
shaft section out toward the rear and slip the tranny right in place very
easily.

If somebody'll send me a check for $10, I'll send ya this shaft section -
you'll literally get the shaft - no kidding.

If nobody wants it, I'm throwing it away - 'pity.

Wilton