I'm changing the pinion seal on my Supercrew. The manual says to use a torque
wrench and check to see how much
torque it takes to turn the flange after supporting on jack stands and removal
of the rear wheels and the drive
shaft. It also says to count the threads exposed. Then it says to remove the
nut etc and replace the seal. It then
says to re-install the flange and nut and tighten to the number of threads,
check the torque to turn and tighten in
increments until there is about 5 inch pounds more drag than previous to
account for the new seal.

Sounds easy until you try to do it. It takes very little effort to turn the
flange and the result is that none of
the torque wrenches that I have will do. I made some calls this morning and
determined that any sort of low torque
wrench or driver is very expensive. Not worthwhile for something I will seldom
use.

So, the question is whether anyone has any good ideas as to how else one might
test and reset to similar torque
value. I know that the garages just crank it on and don't worry about it and
that is what I will do if need be. I
can just tighten to the a5 exposed threads and will be pretty close. However, I
would do it the right way if
possible.

One thing I believe I have seen is the use of a spring scale to test the
pre-load on front wheel bearings. I
believe the manual for our old Toyota 4Runner suggests that as the proper
manner to test for preload. That might be
possible but I suspect I would need a fairly light spring scale as it really
takes very little effort to turn the
flange.

I suppose another idea might be a lever bolted to the flange and hanging
weights on it to see what weight is
required to make it turn.

Anyone got better ideas?

Randy