Sander Hoogendoorn writes:

   Last weekend when i was testing Prime 95 i noticed that factoring
   low numbers took much longer as high numbers.
   Factoring M17XXX from 2^52 to 2^54 took minutes per pass while
   factoring M9XXXXXX from 2^52 to 2^54 took about one minute to
   complete the whole factoring. How is this possible?

All factors of a Mersenne number with a prime exponent, p, are of the
form 2*k*p + 1 where k is a natural number (positive integer).  So the
larger p is, the fewer the number of possible factors between two
constants like 2^52 and 2^54.  In this case, 17XXX divided by 9XXXXXX
is at most 0.2%, so checking all the possible factors of M17XXX takes
about 500 times as much CPU as checking all the possible factors of
M9XXXXXX within the same range of numbers.

This a large part of why higher exponent Mersennes are trial factored
farther than lower exponent Mersennes.

While I'm here, I'll mention for the newcomers that I collect all
sorts of factoring data on Mersenne numbers, including George
Woltman's ECM & GIMPS data, the Cunningham Project ftp site data
maintained by Paul Leyland, Conrad Curry's Factor98 data, and directly
from interested individuals like yourself; just send it to me in
email, plain text or as MIME attachment(s).  The data I've collected
for exponents under 200,000 is available below.  I have data for many
larger exponents, including all primes thru 21.5 million or so, but do
not have room on my ISP's web server to upload it.

                                                Will

http://www.garlic.com/~wedgingt/mersenne.html (proofs, links, etc.)
                                mersfmt.txt   (data format description)
                                mersdata.zip  (data, zip'd)
                                mersdata.tgz  (same data, different packing)
                                factoredM.txt (completely factored Mersennes)