Yes.  The Romans used the word "fasces" to decribe a bundle of sticks bound
together to hold an axe at one end (a picture would be worth a lot but I
don't have one).  The cord was wrapped around the bundle. The axe was used
in war as well as construction.  Benito Mussolini and the Italians knew
about this, being well steeped in Italian, i.e., Roman history.  Beniti
coined fascist from "fasces" telling the Italians that they were  strong if
bound together.

History lesson for the day.