Spike Jones wrote:

>The mass of the earth is about 8E24 kg, and there are on the order
of 10^26 atoms of lithium per kg, so the earth became a computer
with 2E51 bits capable of an equivalent of 10^67 operations per sec

Uh, you'd better save a few E24 kg for a whopper of a heat sink and
a convective neutrino cooling fan - or are you assuming 100% efficiency,
which would appear to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

>if a proton were to become a tiny supercomputer, capable of
dividing *any* two numbers, regardless of size, in one chronon

Spike, there's a flaw in your reasoning here (or better, one
humongous missed opportunity): you are using quantum theory to
set a lower limit on your cycle time, but your lithiverse is
not exploiting quantum nonlocality to speed up the factoring.
I think if you switch to a quantum factoring algorithm, the
Mersennes will be dropping like ripe wheat before a scythe...

For those who are saying, "hey - what about decoherence?":
if Spike gets to assume the speed of light is infinite (note that
the quantum algorithm need not assume this to be effective), I get
to assume there is no decoherence.

In any case, thanks for an amusing posting, Spike!

-Ernst