<<How about sweetening the pot for anyone who is doing double checking
that discovers a mistake in the first LL analysis? >>
Hrm. A small reward would be an incentive. Of course, any mistakes found would
have to be TRIPLE-checked, so that no one fakes an error (easy) to get the
incentive. Of course, anyone who did such a thing would have to be branded a
liar and not allowed to participate in GIMPS any more.
Double-checking finds errors 1/400 of the time, if I remember correctly.

<< But the execution of the instructions themselves are probably about the
same.  I have heard that FP speeds would go up some though...  Prime95 may run
slower on a Merced at the same clock speed as a Xeon, at least until it's
recompiled.  Sigh...>>
The Merced, if I remember correctly, does NOT have native x86 processing
capability, only through emulation. Pentium III Xeons will remain the fastest
processors for x86 instructions. But Prime95 written in Merced assembler....
*begins to drool*

<<Earlier I posted the notion that Mersenne primes might be used to
impress extraterrestrial civilizations.  After thinking it thru, I think we
can make a stronger arguement than that:   Mersenne primes might
be the *best* yardstick to *prove* a certain level of technological
achievement, perhaps the most logical yardstick.>>

Interesting. I like it. But there is one way that it could be a nonreliable
indicator of technological achievement. If an exoculture receives our Mersenne
prime message, they will know that other life exists in the universe. Assuming
we know more Mersenne primes than they do, they will have stumbled onto new
"free" primes, at no computational cost. (Verification is easy, if they have a
Lucas-Lehmer test and can wait long enough, even with slow computers.) If
they're anything like us, one of them will raise the question if WE have heard
other civilizations with 37 Mersenne primes and simply repeated the primes out
ourselves. That would be a method of faking it.  They can, however,
definitively put an UPPER limit on our technological achievement. If the other
society knows more Mersenne primes than we do, then they may or may not
realize the way of "faking" it, while if they know less Mersenne primes,
they'll probably realize my point.

<<Nope, they will just wonder what they have overlooked that makes Mersenne
Primes so basic to a culture.>>

Imagine if some exoculture sees our Mersenne prime message, and they feel that
THEIR culture is inferior because they only know the first four. And, there is
always Myxlptlk's Theorem to consider.

<<Except that it might have an unintended effect. Suppose we send out a list
of Mersenne primes, and the receiving civilization realizes from the list
that we do not know the Theorem of Myxlptlk, which, as every young
Golurdian knows, gives an explicit formula for all Mersenne primes.>>

What about the following scenario:
We send the Mersenne prime message. The friendly Aeraibvca civilization
receives it, and notices that we know far fewer Mersenne primes than they do.
Of course, they have existed for much longer, and have known about Mersenne
primes for hundreds of millennia. Thus, they're surprised that we have found
37 in just a couple of millenia, and most in the last century. We advance at a
much faster rate than them. They don't know Myxlptlk's Theorem (from the
Golurdians), but they do know a few more interesting facts about Mersenne
primes. They even learn a couple of things from us (General Relativity is
unknown to them - they only have Ntromdukian gravity), so they send us
everything they know about Mersenne primes, and even send us all the primes
that they know. Our comparatively primitive Terran mathematicians looks at the
new facts, conjectures, and all the new primes, and see some sort of a
pattern. Hrm. Separately, the Aeraibvcas and the Terrans couldn't have thought
of Myxlptlk's Theorem, but together, they derive an even-easier-to-compute-
with version of it (ha ha, Golurdians). Interesting.

On further thought, if we're willing to wait long enough, it could be a sort
of interstellar game we could play, even if we can't physically get there in a
reasonable amount of time.
Send the first 10 Mersenne primes to an alien civilization, including enough
(hahaha) information for them to deduce our language, or a special LinguaCode
specifically designed to be easy for alien civilizations to understand (why
make them deal with declensions and conjugations if they don't have to? Here's
what a few sentences might look like:
Ted picked up a book yesterday, and he quickly read it.  Ted thought that the
book was very informative.
Ted before-pick book before-day.  Ted fast before-read book.  Ted before-think
book before-is very informative.
Or something like that.)
Then ask them how many Mersenne primes they know. Then send them a couple, and
they can send us a couple, so forth. It could be a race. Can we find the 137th
Mersenne prime before the Aeraibvcas do? Our superiority as a race is at
stake!