At 06:17 PM 5/8/99 -0500, Ken Kriesel wrote:
>Aren't gaussians symmetric about the mean value?  What George plotted is not.

Yes, but isn't too far off.  But it does drop off quite a bit faster onthe
left.  That is why I think it may be better to chop the data at the mean, throw
away that under the mean, reflect the other data with respect to the mean, and
calculate the standard deviation from that "massaged" data.  Then a Normal
distribution should approximate it pretty well.