At 10:13 AM 5/11/99 +0000, you wrote:

>The theoretical distribution is most definitely not an F-distribution,
>though the shape may be reminiscent.

If we knew what the distribution is theoretically, we could fit it.  I'm a
former temporary part-time adjunct instructor of statistics for a minor
university (really!), but it has been a long time and I don't have most of my
books at hand.

>Since the pdf of the normal distribution does not have a "pretty"
>analytic integral, the function I[0,x] is complex.

I've got a decent numerical integration routine (that I use for integrating the
Gaussian dist.)

>All assuming that the underlying distribution of the source data is
>normal - or near enough to make no practical differerence!

If you're talking about the actual data George gave us - it is far from
normal.  At first I was going to do a Kolmogorov-Smirnov test to see if it was
close to a normal, but that is really designed for the raw data.  Since the
data was in a histogram I used the Chi-squared test.  The data posted was far
from a normal distribution (even just the right half of it was far from a
normal).