On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Gary Diehl wrote:
> I also got the "illegal sumout" and it locked up my machine.  It did it
> four times in a row at the 6564090 iteration (the lock ups were hard
> locks - had to recycle power to recover).
>
> However, I had my pentium-II 266 overclocked to 333, and when I reset
> the speed back to 266 the problem went away.  I have had it overclocked
> for about 5 months now with no problems.  I have been running prime95 at
> 333mhz since 16 May 99.  After resetting the speed to 266 I went back to
> an older backup file (and lost about 4 hours work) just to make sure I
> am still working with good data.  Interesting to note -- the average
> iteration speed at idle (0.275 sec) remained unchanged regardless of the
> CPU speed change.  Does overclocking even help?
It does help but you have to remember that the reported time per iteration
is gotten by counting clockcycles, then adjusting for the speed you
yourself said your processor was running at.
My guess is that you didn't change the cpu speed you'd told prime95 when
you lowered the frequency, and since the problem takes the same number of
clockcycles, it's reported as taking the same time.

--
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S       URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/