Aaron,

   You are correct in identifying overheating as the main problem.  Most
major manufactures give a maximum air temperature of 35-40C inside the PC
case.  If the air temperature is lower, the processor will run somewhat
faster.  The speedup is on the order of 1-3MHz per degree C, depending on
processor type.  None of this is to say that overclocking will not fail for
some other reason, but the 3% increase is not likely to cause problems
except in a very hot environment.

Regards,

Ethan

[SNIP]